Monday, March 30, 2009

Homework or Heroes?

Ah, screw both and blog! Today delivered some poopy news about my scholastic future. I had a meeting with a nursing advisor at UT. Now, I am not trying to be overpretentious, but I feel that I am overqualified for the nursing program at this point, and I feel like I should jump straight into clinicals. I do only have 6 classes before I can begin, so I am loading myself up with an 18 credit hour fall semester! Yuck! The good news is that these classes are packed into Tuesdays and Thursdays, with 2 of them online. Score! The bad news is that there is an application process for the Bachelors of Nursing program. Heh, no problem, I am a genius, right? No, apparentely not. I was informed today that my GPA is .4 points lower than what I thought (3.4). This is all due to a PSO class that I was signed up for spring semester my senior year at BHS that I decided to not go through with due to a bad case of senioiritis. Little did I know that my teacher never submitted the paperwork to withdraw me from the class, so the University of Findlay has me on record with an "F" in Calc 2. SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY. No wonder I didn't get in the pharmacy program! This information never showed upon my degree audit or unofficial transcript, so I was never aware until now. Now I am barely competitive for the nursing program! The minimum GPA last year was a 3.49, which I am nearly half a point away from now! The only upside is that they are redoing the entire process, making it 3 times a year, and with more spots available, which will hopefully work to my advantage. I am going to be calling Findlay to see if there is anyway I can get rid of this! yuck yuck yuck. The most appropriate word for this situation is: redunkulous.

Which leads me to another story: movies, particularly kids movies. I am amazed at how I have never disliked a single Pixar movie that I've seen. Seriously, they are cinematic chocolate! Frankie went out to get headphones for his iTouch so he could run(see next paragraph for story), and came home with a slew of movies for the fam. For Omri he got: Pinocchio and Bolt. Me: Twilight (still havent watched it due to homework/cleaning/kids/work/life). Himself: The Nightmare Before Christmas. So we proceed to watch Pinocchio (not my favorite Disney classic, but Omri loved it). Then we watched Bolt. This movie was hilarious and I loved it.. I even cried a bit at the end. So sweet. Two thumbs up. Even if Miley Cyrus is one of the voices.. more about Miley Cyrus later. We also recorded Wordplay on the Independent Film Channel (one of the BEST channels ever, if you have to pay extra for it, its worth it!). Funny stories about crossword enthusiasts, and now me and Frankie are on a crossword kick, we almost got a NY Times subscription, but it's slightly more pricey than what we anticipated! Another good documentary that we've recorded from IFC is "I Like Killing Flies". It's about this restaurant owner in NYC, and he is over-the-top crazy! For instance: no parties of 5 are EVER allowed to eat at the restaurant. There's a whole plaque devoted to this! If you can ever find it at a Blockbuster, rent it!! I just recorded "The Pianist", and I haven't watched it yet, but I can't wait to. I have a slight fascination with WW2, I think I could watch any show/read any book on the subject.

Anways, Frankie hadn't been running lately, because it's been cold and what not... So Friday he gets real excited to go and try again. I buy him new athletic shorts from walmarts and off he goes. After I wait anxiously for an hour, he returns, slightly sweaty, but proud of a 3 mile walk/run. Later on in teh day, the feeling of accomplishment has diminished and in its place: painful tootsies. He can still barely walk, as the outsides of his feet are extremely sore! We've tried the cold water soak, some biofreeze, and good ole fashioned foot rubs, but it's still there. A trip to the Andersons for some steakage almost killed him. It's pretty pitiful. Poor guy. Needless to say, I think next time he'll take it a little slower!

Also, funny story: apparentely at the Grammy's Miley Cyrus wanted to meet Radiohead, one of her "like, favorite bands ever!" But they refused. Lil Cyrus goes on the radio and says that she is going to "ruin them" by telling all of her fans to boycott them. I'm sure that one of the most influential and sucessful bands ever is going to feel the dent from this tween crowd. Silly girl. Radiohead released a statement saying that "“When Miley grows up, she’ll learn not to have a sense of entitlement." I used to not have such a thing for Radiohead, despite Frankie's admiration and devotion, but their concert last August was so amazing that I am a complete convert. I guess I should like them anyways, since they are the reason that we named the first girl Omri...

Ah, but I've rambled far too long about nonsense, it's time to do something more productive!

4 comments:

  1. That's great that you can get all the classes in on T/Th; scheduling ease is a bonus!
    We have seen Word Play too. It prompted Mike to buy me a NY Times crossword book for Christmas. That might be a better route than the actual subscription. Also, our SNP (suburban news paper) has the Times crossword puzzles in it. I don't think Toledo has an SNP though.
    Just the outsides of Frankie's feet hurt? Sounds like he needs a proper running shoe fitting if he is going to stick with it. He may supronate - the rest of us (Kathy, Brooke, and myself) all pronate. If you don't know what pronate and supronate mean they will be good nursing words for you to look up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Major bummer. I hope you get that U of F situation resolved-- maybe you can still get in pharm if fixed!

    I just loved the Pianist-- so much so that D and I watched and had to have M&D over to watch it again with us. One of my top 10. For some reason I am obsessed with Adrian Brody-- have you seen the Jacket?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that times X-word is tough! but fun.

    Tell Frankie I'll sing to his lil tooties if that will make them feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank this girl for breaking the miley/radiohead news to you.

    ReplyDelete