Thursday, March 19, 2009

Belly Up!

So our second fish, Achoo, is pretty much the most ridiculous pet I've ever owned. I looked in the tank the other day and almost had a cow because he was floating on his side in his corner that he favors. Oh no, He's dead! But no, his mouth was still moving, and a good poke from Popeye righted him. Not much time passed, and I again found Achoo in an upside down position in the middle of the tank. This time, a little push from me with the fish scooper tool, and he was on his way. I begin to become worried, especially since the next time I find him, he is upside down in their hideout log. Oh, Achoo, are you trying to commit suicide. So Frankie, a.k.a. Internet M.D., decides to investigate on the inter-web. Turns out that when Achoo eats (flakes from the top of the water), he intakes water, and this gas in his stomach ruins his buoyancy, causing him to turn over. It's quite pitiful actually, we right him again and again, only to watch him struggle to maintain his uprightedness. Now the fish are to be on a special diet of pellets that will float to the bottom so silly Achoo won't be stuck upside-down for the remainder of his life, however long we can keep him alive.

Anyways, we got a real glimpse of spring the other day with some almost 70 degree weather, coupled with some lovely sunshine. This called for Ollie's first time in exposed sunlight/air/general outdoors in her life. She enjoyed being carried around in her stylish track pants, as Omz and Frankie picked up sticks. Sticks, I must add, we have no shortage of. We have multiple piles in the back yard, and a couple large limbs/trunks from a tree that neighbor Mike took down. I kind of just want to set fire to the majority of the back yard, because there is so much to pick up still! A lawn mower would be destroyed by this stuff! Alas, I don't feel like alarming any Smokey the Bears, so I hope that the neighbors will be needing a lifetime supply of kindling for their firepits--i'll bring marshmallows! Omri also was able to meet Mike's two little boys, Joe (5) and Ben (3). She pretty much thought them hilarious, and I'm glad she'll have some buddies to do sprints and watch trains go by with. Her and Ben hugged it out, though I think his original intention was to pick her up, Omri misread that signal. Another plus to our neighbors: both sides are resourceful when it comes to cars. Our brake lights had gone out and voila! Mike had the parts sitting in his shed. He says he can fix the muffler/exhaust/shivering problem my car has too, and super cheap, since he gets parts at cost from his shop.

Needless to say, I can't wait for it to get warm. I bet this summer will be a blast, with our super huge backyard, and the neighbors that we can enjoy having in close proximity. Even if Kyle has his nipples pierced and and a F.B.I. tattoo (Full Blooded Irish, not Federal Bureau of Investigation). haha Speaking of tattoos, I've entertained the thought of getting a sleeve. I think they're beautiful. But I'm wayyyyyy too chicken.

5 comments:

  1. Now you with a sleeve would be a sight to see. I have 9 lawn bags at the curb right now full of sticks and the trash men are coming now. I feel like I should hide or go give them some food because I'm pretty sure they aren't going to like me after this huge pick up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least you remembered to put out you trash! I was woken up this morning by the garbagemen passing right by my house, and my trash bags just sitting at the side of the house! Argghh!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kindof want a sleeve too now that you brought it up. Perhaps a sleeve of adorable puppies

    I propose a toast, to having good neighbors. Cheers!

    PS- Tell Frankie we got our computer

    ReplyDelete
  4. puppies are cute, but I was thinking wide-eyed kittens, you know the ones that watch you? I would only scare everyone within a 10 mile radius!

    ReplyDelete