Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Mourning a fish and an incredible piece of steak

The past weekend was full of events and a general blast. The weather was amazing, and we enjoyed some good foods. It makes me even more excited for summer!

Olive had a doctors appointment, weighed in at 14 pounds, 24 inches long. What a big girl! She is loving her veggies and cereal. Baths are also a special time. She has begun to stick out of the baby tub so we put a little water in the bottom of the tub and see what would happen. She has now discovered the joy of splashing!

She also enjoys being in the bath with Omri. It's quite fascinating to see the bond that has already formed between them. Basically, Olive loves Omri. She sees her and instantly laughs and/or smiles. It's adorable.

So Friday begins with a 10 to 6 work day, that actually lasted until 7 due to some last minute nursing home deliveries. Frankie and I had made plans to go out, so Aunt Kerry was over to watch the girlies. Since they both go down around 7 or 8, we had them asleep before we left so it would be an easy job for Ker. Our original plan was to go to Olive Garden. I'm pretty sure that we always plan on going there, but never actually make it. We drive by, and of course it's a wait on Friday night, so we set out for other options. The Olliver House downtown became intriguing, so we set off. We arrive and walk in, through Maumee Bay Brewing and end up in Rockwells. Instantly I feel underdressed in nice jeans and a shirt in this fan-cay establishment. We go anyways. We decide to get a bruschetta for an appetizer, and I had some Pinot Grigio (sp?). That bread was amazing! The roca tomatoes were so juicy and marinated delicously. Then there was the mozarella on top. REAL mozarella. AH-mazing! We then wait patiently for our steaks to arrive. Our server arrives and informs us that we need to be careful, because our plates are a scorching 500 degrees! I hear the juices from the meat sizzling as she sets down perhaps the most beautiful piece of cow that has ever been seen by a meat fanatic. The aroma was mouth-watering, and I was ready to dig in--although slightly cautious of the hot plate! The first bite is nothing short of heaven. It was cooked to medium rare perfection, and I thought to myself, if I get Mad Cow, it had better be from this most damn delicious filet that I have ever been in company with. Needless to say, it was worth every penny (and it was a lot of pennies)! I told Frankie something along the lines of : I am going to cry with every other food I eat, because it will never taste as amazing as this. This surely must be on everyones list of what to accomplish before they die: EAT AT ROCKWELLS. A glass of red wine later, we decide to head downstairs to Mutz. Except, we are informed that Mutz no longer exists. The other bars in the downtown area are a no-go due to a Hens game that just let out. So we head home, with a pit stop at Doc Watsons for one more beer (just plain ole Bud Light).

Saturday morning, the fam plus Ker head to Bob Evans for some breakfast. I love their food, even if I did work there for 4 years. Country Biscuit breakfast with sausage gravy is the most yummiest! We proceeed to drive up River Road and back down again, to stop off at Lickity split for the first soft serve ice cream of the season. I'm pretty sure they have the same signs for the past 10 years. Afterwards, Ker, Ollie and I head to Target for odds and ends, because who DOESN'T love a good Target trip?? That night the girls and I ended up at Raeann's camper. Omri had a blast, wanted to play at the beach (which was the box) or the water (which was the actual beach on the lake/pond. We had some hamburgs from the firepit and Omri rode on a bicycle for the first time. Well, more like Nate pushed her around the drive on the bicycle.

Sunday was yet ANOTHER beautiful day. It started of very strange though. Omri woke up that morning crying. When asked what was the matter, she said "cookie monster". Well, what was wrong with cookie monser? "He's sad." Why is he sad? "He went poopoo in the potty" She then goes on to repeat this, except with Elmo. She was VERY upset about this for most of the day, and I'm slightly concerned that this could impair potty training.
We headed to Borders in search of Duck Tales DVD, and ended up scoring on a good handful of kids books for a dollar each! I love their 'bargain' books. Picked up Frankie some khaki shorts, and headed home because Ollie was getting cranky. Later that evening, we had an impromptu cookout with the neighbors (Kyle and PJ). Some ribeyes, corn on the cob and fried taters were on the menu. To drink: only the most WONDERFUL drink in the whole entire world: Framboise (Fram-Bwaah). A raspberry Belgian beer that tastes nothing like beer, only goodness. Another thing to put on a to-do list: Drink Framboise. The night ended up with one hour of screaming from Olive, only to discover that she may possibly be teething. Oh geez....

Monday: nothing exciting, at least not that I remember.

Tuesday: our fish Achoo was found floating beside the filter. I'm not sure how Omz is going to take this, but we call her over to the toilet anyway. She sees Achoo in the potty and is confused. I explain that Achoo is sick, and he is going to the ocean with Nemo to get better. And the screaming ensues. Another traumatic experience with the potty... it's pretty much her nemesis. The only thing that calms her down is the promise of a replacement, which will probably not happen, because a goldfish tank is impossible to keep clean--they are listed as the 'dirtiest' fish, and no amount of cleaning/water replacement/filtration will keep this water clear! I think our cat and dog will be fine in keeping the pet department occupied for a loooong time now.

Alas, I have just written a novel. Time to reverse the carpal tunnel thats setting in...

6 comments:

  1. Does Omri wear Pampers? They have Sesame Street characters on them; that might help explain the dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The video of Olive splashing is SO ADORABLE!

    I agree with you about Rockwell's! I've only been there once, but I loved it and think it's the best restaurant in town. Blows Mancy's or any other "fan-cay" place out of the water!

    Now I just need to get my hands on some of this Framboise...

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm, steak. I can't wait to hang wit chall again. PS- did Frankie post something on my facebook wall?

    ReplyDelete
  4. He probably tried, but facebook is so confusing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. and Blaire-call me sometime-419 508 5547. we'll do a framboise night. Perhaps when we get a firepit done and we can have a bonfire!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a cold Framboise in my fridge, first to visit can have it.

    ReplyDelete