Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I think I may be getting the sickness.

It's no surprise that I would be getting sick. Over the past week, Omri was sick twice. First with a vomiting/fever fit, then with a cough/runny nose over the weekend. I thought working at a pharmacy had made me immune, but I havent been sick in 2 or 3 years, so I can't complain too much.

I didn't feel like this at my interview this morning, I was surprisingly wide awake after getting up at 5:30. I get to Findlay, a little early, and I read some of my book (The Associate by John Grisham) to calm my nerves. I go in, write a decent essay, and wait to talk to the Dean. In the meantime, there's a little girl in the office, playing with ball with an older man and her parents. I get to talking, and I end up mentioning that I have two girls at home. A few minutes later, the older man announces that he is the Dean and he's ready for my interview. We go in, and the first subject he wants to talk about is how I'm going to handle two children and school. I reply that while it's dificult, I make it work, I have a good support system, and that my past two semesters I've gotten straight A's. He then says, No, I'm talking about the guilt that you are going to recieve when you aren't spending enough time at home with your children. I'm momentarily taken aback at this, but say that I feel the means justifies the ends, and while they may not understand at this young age, it is for the benefit of their future. He proceeds to pester me on the subject for a few more minutes, and finally begins the interview, which seems to proceed either downhill or a plateaued direction. First, he asks me, why Findlay? I say, they have pharmacy, small school, and that their recent accreditation may offer some unique and new perspectives on pharmacy practice, as well as other such comments. He then says, "Basically you didn't get into UT", and writes this down as my ONLY comment on this matter. Seriously? Thanks... A few mediocre Q&A's later, he presents me with an ethical question:
What would you do if you found a black envelope outside in the parking lot?
Me: Turn it into the office.
Him: What if it contained enough cash to pay for your tuition for the next 5 years?
Me: Well, If I found an envelope, I wouldn't look into it, but if it should be open, and I see this, I would still turn it in. I have lost money before, usually only a 5 or so, and I was upset about that. I would hope that if I lost money, someone would turn it in for me. I would choose to give someone else that respect.
Him: What would you do if we called in 6 months and state that no one picked it up?
Me: Tell the University to use it for whatever it needs.
Him: You wouldn't tell us what exactly to do with it?
Me: No, I don't really think that's my right if it's not my money to begin with.
Him: You don't have to answer just what I want to hear you know.
Me: (crickets).......................
The interview ends not much later, and I proceed to take a tour. It's a really neat campus, with lots of nice amenities. I am not at all confidant about gainng admission though. I find out the last week of May/first week of June. We'll see.

In other news, I bought a pickup for $250 from Patrick's work. It's WELL used, and the steering is slightly off, but I really enjoy it. I always wanted a pick up. Fun. Frankie tilled an area for a garden (where Mary used to be). In the process he found an ice cream scooper, a super long metal pole, and a cat skull. We are now making plans on what to plant. I just wish it would warm up and stop raining. Omri just got a bicycle, police car, and T- ball set, and I really would love for her to be outside more, but the weather has not been permitting. Soon enough I suppose. Time to go police the Jedi and Omri tag team.

5 comments:

  1. That dean sounds like quite a piece of work. You handled yourself very well in such an awkward situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deans, can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You failed to mention your hard working Mexican at home! Sounds like the dean was the type of guy who may have liked a racist comment. Yikes! And what the crap, it appears that the dean has kids and grandkids how does he juggle it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Dean can probably do it because his wife stays at home. psh

    ReplyDelete